Africa’s Jurassic Park
The Ngorongoro Crater offers some of the best wildlife viewing in Africa. The conservation area stretches far beyond the rim of the crater across the rolling grasslands right to the borders of the Serengeti, covering 8,094.4 sq km.Over-touristed or not, the Ngorongoro crater should be on the itinerary of every first time visitor to Tanzania.The extinct volcano is a scenic delight with grassy plains, lakes and a fever tree forest. There’s probably nowhere in Africa you have a better chance of seeing the Big 5 in a single game drive.
LOCATION OF NGORONGORO CRATER
NGORONGORO CRATER HIGHLIGHTS
- Top wildlife viewing all year round
- Superb for spotting predators
- Black rhino is easily seen
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
- Best Time June to September (General wildlife viewing is best)
- High Season Most of the year – July to March (The Ngorongoro Crater will have crowds of visitors)
- Low Season April and May (The only time when the crater has few crowds)
- Best Weather June to October (Rainfall is little to none)
- Worst Weather March and April (Peak of Wet season)
NGORONGORO CRATER ACCOMMODATION
The following are some of the lodges that we recommend in Ngorongoro. For information on additional accommodation not featured, please contact us.