MATUSADONA NATIONAL PARK
Abundant wildlife without the crowds
Matusadona lies along the shores of Lake Kariba, and as such the expansive inland water body is an added element to the incredible scenic beauty of the area. The national park covers 338,000 acres (1370 sq km) along the southern shore of Lake Kariba, between the Ume River in the west and the Sanyati River in the east. The wide foreshore changes size dramatically from year to year as the level of the lake rises and falls, according to the rains and flood levels.
LOCATION OF MATUSADONA NATIONAL PARK
MATUSADONA NATIONAL PARK HIGHLIGHTS
- Excellent wildlife viewing.
- Great wildlife diversity, including the Big Five.
- Excellent birding destination.
- Walking, canoe and boat safaris are available.
- Tracking black rhino on foot.
- Lots of accommodation options, including house boats.
- It gets hot and humid from November to March, and there are many mosquitoes.
- Not easy to get to by road, and 4WD is essential.
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
- Best Time- July to October (Dry season)
- High Season- July to September (Matusadona is never crowded)
- Low Season- January to June (From January to March many lodges shut down)
- Best Weather- April to September (Rains are very uncommon)
- Worst Weather –October to February (Hot and humid once the rains start)