HWANGE NATIONAL PARK
Abundant wildlife without the crowds
One of the 10 largest national parks in Africa, and the largest in Zimbabwe at 14,651 sq km, Hwange National Park, has a spectacular amount of wildlife with some 400 species of bird and 107 types of animals. That’s an area the size of Belgium, so there’s plenty of space in which Hwange’s famous elephant herds can roam at will. The three main centres are Main Camp, Sinamatella and Robins Camp. Most of the upmarket lodges are situated in the northeastern Main Camp area simply because this is where one sees truly phenomenal game concentrations around the pumped waterholes in the dry season.
LOCATION OF HWANGE NATIONAL PARK
HWANGE NATIONAL PARK HIGHLIGHTS
- Zimbabwe’s largest and most diverse National Park.
- Home to some of Africa’s largest herds of Elephants and renowned for its Wild dog population.
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
- Best Time- July to October (Dry season)
- High Season- June to October (Hwange’s main area can become crowded)
- Low Season- January to May (Some lodges close during part of the Wet season)
- Best Weather April to September (not too hot)
- Not a good time-December to March (Wet season)